• Emergency Medical Technician
    Health Science Technology Path
    Grade 12 - Fall Start Preferred/Full Year
    Program Description
    The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program is recommended for high school seniors who have an interest in the medical field. This program is geared toward pre-hospital emergency medical care and is appropriate for students entering the paramedic field, firefighting, law enforcement, and other medical occupations.
    The one-year EMT program covers CPR for healthcare providers as well as the Minnesota First Responder and Emergency Medical Technician certifications. This course combines lecture/discussion, lab, special projects, and field experience. Students will observe at a Level One trauma center and ride along with various ambulance services. Students will have the opportunity to join the  Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA), student organization, which is designed to enhance the quality of medical care through teamwork, networking, leadership opportunities, and national competitions. Students must be 18 years of age to take the National and State Certification Exam given in May. College credits may be earned.
    Career-Related Skills
    • American Heart Association CPR for healthcare providers
    • Anatomy and physiology
    • Medical terminology
    • Medical and trauma patient assessment
    • Basic trauma life support
    • Treatment of medical emergencies
    • Obstetrics
    • Pediatric emergencies
    • Defensive driving skills
    • Minnesota First Responder and National Registry of EMT certifications
    Career Outlook
    The course meets the requirements for emergency medical care certification required by paramedics, firefighters, and police officers. Students may use the EMT certification as one of the prerequisites for entrance into a paramedic program. Some or all of the credits may be used at two or four year colleges and universities. Employment for EMTs and paramedics is expected to grow faster than the average through 2012.
    College credit may be earned in some programs with an A or B grade in a program course and enrollment in a partnering college. For registration information, contact your high school counselor.

    Click here to visit the instructor's course page.